Friday, May 11, 2007

"Learning to walk" an essay

Apparently after almost 30 years of practice I still don't know how to walk. Now, I did have some setbacks as a kid; when I was born I was pigeon toed and I had to have corrective casts on my feet, so I got a late start, and because of this I have had weak ankles which has afforded me many an opportunity for crutches, which set back my walking practice schedule, or when I was in basic training and fractured 3 bones between both my feet I was forced to learn a modified walk which also set back my practice schedule. Still with all these setbacks I thought I had become quite good at walking, however, all my confidence was shattered yesterday as I walked back from the store. The walk started like any other, and then all of a sudden I was on the ground, in pain. My right food rolled under an wouldn't support my weight I went down and got road rash on my left shin and knee and scraped my left elbow as well. Was it dark out? You ask. Oh, no, it was the middle of the day. Well surely you were in a strange place, you think to yourself. Not at all, I was on a well trodden path which I have traveled many times. The only thing I can blame is my lack of practice, so I have decided that as soon as I am healed from my injuries well enough that they will not affect my form I will start a more rigorous training schedule, no longer will I ride when I can walk, I will take extra steps when at all possible. It's not going to be easy, but I know that with the love and support of my family and friends, I will be able to reach my goal of learning to walk by the time I'm 40.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thinking a little more practice might do the trick! I am there to help my friend!